Monday, April 11, 2011

Educational Weekend

This past weekend I loaded up the kids, and we headed south for a photography workshop. The workshop happened to be in the area that I am originally from so I was able to catch up with a few family members, too! The only downside is I never have enough time to see everyone! I did run into an old friend unexpectedly at the photography workshop, though. It was great to catch up with someone I hadn't seen in so long. It was also great to go out to lunch and visit with a friend without the kiddos around. She has a successful business right now and I hope I can someday be as successful with my photography as her! Visit http://www.bigstarimages.com/ to view her website!

I learned so much at the photography workshop. Mostly, I learned that I know hardly anything about my camera and it's capabilities, but the wonderful teachers did a great job of explaining everything in detail.  I took classes on lighting, composition, people photography and basic photography I and II. I enjoyed all of the classes and can't wait to find the time to take my camera out for a day and really work on some of the ideas I got at the workshop. I need to look through my notes a few more times and I might actually have an idea of what i'm doing. Aperture, ISO, Shutter Speed, Fill Flash, Metering, white balance and Bracketing are all starting to make sense to me. Now I just need to make sure I know how to operate my camera well enough to adjust those elements.

After the workshop, I felt like taking a million pictures but had hardly any time to do so. I was, however, able to photograph a beautiful little girl. It was my first time using the Manual setting on my camera and the little beauty only gave me about 1 minute to work it. I think I did "ok", but can't wait to really improve my pictures!




I was also able to swing by and see my grandparents before I left for home this morning. I can't put into words the amount of respect I have for these two individuals. I grew up less than 100 yards from them and they helped shape me into the person I am today. My grandma is one of the hardest working women I know, and I can only hope to someday be half the woman she is. She has been through hardships in her life I hope to never face and she continues to be a strong, intelligent, beautiful woman.

Oh, did I mention she makes the best homemade bread of ALL time! I learned about environmental portriature this weekend and I can't think of a more fitting place for my grandma to be in this photo. When I think about my grandma I almost always envision her baking bread or preparing a wonderful meal from scratch.


My grandpa is such a strong man. Though he can't do the things he used to, he still tries everyday to contribute to the chores on the ranch. I sometimes just tear up when I think or talk about my grandpa. I'd like to think that he and I are kindred spirits, and though he looks serious in this photo he has a great sense of humor.


Here's the classic image of grandpa. He reads the Fence Post magazine religiously everyweek. I think he could tell you the page number of any ad you'd like to know.

*** I just got home and I miss my grandpa and grandma already***

Hope you all had a wonderful weekend! If anyone would like photos taken let me know because I would love the opportunity!

No comments:

Post a Comment