Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Family Birthday Cake


I promised you all a recipe or two in the description of my blog... I haven't cooked anything extraordinary lately (not that I do often) but this cake is extra-extraordinary! The recipe is from an old local community cookbook. I first had this cake when my mother-in-law made this for Shawn's birthday when we first started dating. I had never tasted a cake so wonderful, and I'm pretty sure Shawn only got one slice for his birthday because I devoured the rest of the pan. This cake is a family tradition for Shawn and his brother's birthdays. Wanna know why??? Because it's THAT good! Try it today.... I promise you won't be let down!

HURRY UP COCOA CAKE
2 1/4 C. Flour                                          1/3 tsp. salt
1 1/2 C. Sugar                                          1 Tbsp. instant coffee granules
1/3 C. Cocoa
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda

Mix the above and add:
1/2 C. Oil (really full)                       1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 tsp. lemon juice                       2 eggs, added to water to make 1 1/2 Cups

Mix the ingredients well and bake in a greased and floured 9x13 inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes. Let cool and frost with the heavenly frosting listed below.

COOL WHIP FROSTING
1 small pkg. instant vanilla pudding                          1/2 C. Powdered Sugar
1 C. Milk                                                                6 oz. Cool Whip

Mix the first three ingredients together and let set 10 minutes. Fold in the cool whip. Spread on the cooled cake and ENJOY!

*Note: This cake is wonderful after it's been refrigerated about an hour. It's still great when it's room temperature too, but when it's cold it's best!

The coffee in the cake adds something extra to the chocolate and if you aren't a coffee fan don't worry! I never drink coffee but I love this cake.  Now if you all will excuse me I am very very busy doing anything but eating this piece of cake. Dishes. Laundry. Exercising. Checking heifers. Okay, who am I kidding? I'm going to be stuffing my face with this piece of cake and possibly one more. Have a great day everyone!

1 comment:

  1. I had better tuck this recipe in a drawer somewhere if i wanna stick around this family. Its an important part of bdays in the white family

    ReplyDelete