Thursday, March 17, 2011

An Adventure in Caking Cows


image

Sorry it has taken me so long to write a second post… My computer got a virus that I couldn’t rid it of myself, so it has been in town the past week getting fixed.  I’ve only got a few minutes this morning before the next adventure begins, but I thought I’d share some pictures from this morning.  We all loaded up in the chore pickup and went to the south pasture to cake the cows today. We have one cow that will blow through the rest of the herd to get to the pickup first and get her belly full. The little man was pretty excited to feed number 775 out of his hand this morning, and he jumped out of bed in a hurry when my husband, we’ll call him “the Cowboy”, told him the agenda for the morning. I’m pretty sure the two men of the household fed her ten pounds of cake before the rest of the cows even made it to the pickup. It’s mornings like this that I am grateful for the lifestyle we live. My kiddos have the opportunity to wake up and go outside on daily adventures to learn about animals, nature, work and the lifestyle that has kept the ranch around for more than 100 years.

image

 
image

It took a while for number 775 to warm up to the little guy feeding her, but she was just hungry enough to try it. It wasn’t long before she was licking his fingers, and he was laughing with excitement.

image

This is when the little guy really got to laughing. I think she might have a belly ache this morning after the amount of cake she was fed! I think the cowboy might have had as much fun (if not more) than the little man this morning but don’t tell him I told you so!

image

I had to leave you with this shot… I don’t really think i’m THAT grouchy in the morning but as soon as we saw this cow the cowboy told the little man, “Hey, that looks like Mom in the morning!” This cow does look like she’s having a rather rough day… maybe she just needs her morning fix of caffeine, or she’s just angry that number 775 is getting all the cake.
Have a great day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment