Thursday, March 31, 2011

Busy Morning

Whew!!! Good afternoon everyone! Sorry it's been so long since my last post but it has been a busy week! In between my work schedule and calving season, I made time to load up the kiddos last weekend and head a few hours away for a bridal shower. I ended up bringing a friend and her son along so the kids could go swimming in the pool at the hotel. Okay, maybe I brought her along because I thought it'd be nice to have some adult conversation, too. The bridal shower went great, and I can't wait to welcome in a new member of the family in a couple weeks.  Won't be long and I'll have my first sister in law, and we can gang up on all the men in the family! Watch out boys!

I figured I'd share with you this morning's adventures. After Shawn (my husband) took care of a prolapsed cow and the heifer in the lot calved without any problems, we headed to the "Heiser" place to gather an abandoned calf. The calf was one of a set of twins born yesterday, and the momma couldn't take care of both of them. Shawn figured the calf would be pretty easy to catch to bring home but boy was he wrong! The little guy was all curled up beside a creek, and I got out of the pickup to gather him up but it wasn't long before the calf was high tailing it through the pasture and I was left in the dust! My Muck boots weren't quite agile enough (or maybe it's just me) so Shawn jumped out of the pickup after him.

We usually have a rope with us or we are horseback, but today we were in the chore pickup with the kids so it was all up to Shawn. He eventually got him wrangled and loaded while the little man and I were laughing from the truck. Shawn tied up the calf to take him back to the herd. We wanted to make sure there weren't any mommas to claim him before we took him back to the homestead. There weren't any interested mommas for the poor little guy so the little man has another bottle calf in the barn. I wish I had pictures to share of this particular "adventure" with all of you but maybe next time I will capture Shawn's akward moment on film!  Of course he wouldn't let me post them even if I did...

After the first laughable adventure, we went to the "Shoemaker" place to cake and hay some cows. Shawn and the little man fed hay, while lil sister and I went to cake. The little man even got to drive the tractor today (with a little help from Dad, of course)! 

Everything went smoothly over there and all the little babies look happy and healthy!  Since I promised you guys some pics of the new calves a while back I took a few pics this morning. Enjoy!









I had to throw this final picture in because this is how I felt exactly 4 months ago when I was only a few days away from going into labor with lil sister!
I think it's a year for twins on our ranch and I making a wager that this momma is gonna have a set! 

1 comment:

  1. Love the last pic and comment, Tanna! I remember how that felt.....not good!! LOL

    ReplyDelete