Thursday, March 17, 2011

Where are all the babies???

I know I will regret this post...

Our calving season was scheduled to start 3/14, but we are yet to see a baby calf on the ranch. I love seeing the all the calves running around and bringing new life to the ranch, and I have been eagerly awaiting their arrival. Our little guy, who is now 3, is pretty excited about the baby calves too. I don't know how much he remembers from last year but this year he's old enough to really get excited about things. Calves not only represent a change in seasons (SPRING!) but they also represent our the hard work put in through the long winter months by the Cowboy, a.ka. my husand. With calves come the hard work, but the promise of fun times during brandings.

Since we haven't seen a calf yet, and only a few "heavies" are out in the pen, I am bracing myself for an explosion of baby calves in the coming weeks. Instead of a slow trickle of new calves, I'm imagining an overflow of babies all at once. This is why I am going to regret this post... While we are leisurely awaiting the arrival of our first calf, those heifers out in the pen are all going to pool together and decide to calve out on the same day. It would be okay as long as everything goes smoothly, fingers crossed, but nothing is guaranteed in this industry.

Excuse me while I take a nap now, because I know there are busy days and nights of checking heifers in this ranches near future. I thought I'd add the image below because it reminds me of all I have to look forward to. Baby calves on the ground, warm days with the kids, green grass, gardening and branding time!


Have a great day everyone!

1 comment:

  1. These are great, I can't wait to read what you post next. And you are probably right, you will most likely get blasted with calves any day now. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete